St. John's Episcopal Church has stood in its current location since its completion in 1904. At that time, Ketchikan was but a small village and this church at water's edge was its first. One could tie up one's boat at the front door.
Local native volunteers and craftsmen began building St. John's in 1903 using red cedar milled three miles south of town in Saxman. In 1898, St. Agnes Mission was built in what is now St. John's parking lot. That native school was operated for almost 25 years before being turned over to the Office of Indian Affairs.
The clergy house on the other side of the mission was enlarged between 1908 and 1912, and converted to a 12-bed hospital. In the 1970's and 1980's, it served as the Seamen's Center.
In the 1960's, St. John's welcomed back the native congregation of St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church, a mission church which had been formed out of the congregation of St. John's. Maintaining its presence in Ketchikan's downtown has remained a priority for St. John's, hosting weekly meals for the homeless and providing meeting space to various community groups.
To this purpose, parishioners keep the church open all week durning the summer so visitors can share in the beauty and serenity of our sanctuary which is adorned with handsome stained glass windows, the oldest of which dates back to the 1930's. St. John's remains firm in both its mission--serving to the glory of God in Ketchikan---and its location--its steeple rising from the center of town as a visible symbol of God and his work.
The old rectory which once stood behind the church was taken down to provide for the widening of Dock Street.
Every Sunday at 3:00pm the church serves a meal. This event is called The Lord's Table and is available to anyone in need. We are frequently in need of volunteers to help cook, serve, and clean the undercroft afterward.
(from left to right) The Rev. David Yaw, Rector; The Rev. Barbara Massenburg Assistant Priest; The Rev. Alan Rockwood, Deacon.